Eggplant with tamarind sauce
For this recipe I chose a long, purple eggplant called Violetta Lungo, sometimes called a Japanese eggplant. Tamarind sauce is sometimes called ‘fresh concentrated tamarind.’ You can find it in most Asian grocery stores.
½ cup tamarind sauce
1 tsp. salt (or 1sp. Fish sauce)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 to 3 finely diced hot chili peppers (or ½ tsp. dried crushed hot pepper)
6 (about 1 ½ lbs.) Violetta Lungo eggplant
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cored
½ sweet white onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable oil
1. In a medium bowl, mix tamarind sauce, salt, sugar and hot chili peppers.
2. Roughly peel the eggplant, leaving about half the skin on for color.
3. Cut eggplant in half the long way and then slice into ½-inch pieces.
4. Thinly slice bell pepper and onion.
5. Heat oil in wok over high heat.
6. Stir fry eggplant until tender, about 5 minutes, then drain, gently squeezing out and saving any excess oil.
7. Return oil to wok and reheat.
8. Add garlic and lightly brown.
9. Add onion and bell pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add eggplant and stir fry for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add sauce and cook another couple of minutes, until vegetables are cooked through and evenly coated with sauce.
12. Serve alone or over rice.
Eggplant with tomato and coconut milk
- 1 Eggplant about 200gram: skin off, and cut along side with finger’s size. Then soak in salty water for releasing the bitter taste.
- Lemon grass (half stalk): Thinly sliced and finely chopped.
- 1 Tea spoon of curry powder.
- 1 Clove of garlic: finely chopped.
- 2 Tomatoes: chopped.
- 2 Table spoon of coconut milk (or coconut cream).
- 1 Table spoon of tomato sauce (or tomato paste).
- Salt .
- 1 Spoon of vegetable cooking oil
- Heat the wok or cooking pan, add the cooking oil, then add garlic and lemon grass till it gets light brown. Gently add the eggplant and stir-fried for about 2 minutes to make it soft. Add curry powder for another 30 seconds before adding tomato. Keep stir-fried for another 2 minutes then add tomato sauce and coconut milk. If it is too thick, put some water and rejuice on a low fire.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve in a plate with some coriander topping.
- It can be served with steamed rice
Grilled eggplant with fish sauce
GRILLED EGGPLANT WITH HOMEMADE FISH SAUCE AND MINCED PORK
(repaired for one portion)
- 1 big eggplant , grilled and peeled skin off, then shred on a plate.
- 2 table spoon of sliced spring onion.
- 100 gram of minced pork
- 2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 spoon of cooking oil (preferred vegetable oil)
- Homemade fish sauce.
How to make a homemade fish sauce?
Homemade fish sauce is a combination of four different tastes.
- Spicy of chili and garlic
- Sweet of sugar
- Sour of lime juice
- Salty of fish sauce
Put some chili (large or bird’s eyes depends on your favorite spicy), 3 gloves of garlic, 2 table spoon of sugar in a mortar and pestle then have a crunch till it well finely combined. Juice 2 pieces of lime and 3 table spoons of fish sauce, then stir it up. Try to taste till you like it.
Add the oil in the wok or cooking pan then put spring onion and shallot. Stir-fried about 1 minute till it smells good. Add the minced pork in and keep frying another 5 minutes till the pork cooked.
Add the homemade fish sauce and cook 2 more minutes.
Turn off the fire and pour it over the repaired eggplants
It is served with steamed rice.